Monday, November 23, 2009

Winter is here...

It's been a long year since last season. Spent most of last winter on telemark skis learning the ropes of a totally new sport, which ended in a stronger love for snowboarding. Really only got a week on my shredstick all of the 08/09 season, all at Kirkwood. Then I spent the summer on my bike, shredding the greater Tahoe area. It was good, but I miss the snow the entire time. Now it's time to hang up the bike and get ready for the winter season.

Less than a month away from finishing my Psychology B.A. and Outdoor Education certification from Chico State and I couldn't be more stoked. The 18th of December is the last day of classes, I plan on being in Truckee later that night. I'm ready to live the life. This year I treated myself to a new snowboard, a Lib T.Rice 157 topped with my 09 Union Forces. I'm going to get myself into plenty of trouble this year and I couldn't be more anxious to get those first turns in.

These first flakes of solid snow falling on the mountains reminds me why I love snowboarding in the first place. I recall it the same as most people would recall their marriage. I went through a lot of bad decisions before I finally was able to get on a board...which sadly wasn't until the age of 20. At the age of 23, all I want to do is continue to progress and remind myself that I'm still plenty young enough to take on the world. I have backcountry trips flying through my head...envisioning cold nights in a quinzhee and beautiful days of hiking to secret stashes of pow. I have countless beautiful days in Tahoe in my head...going to the resort first thing in the morning and riding until last call. I just need to stay focused and driven.

So to those who are already there, enjoy those turns. To those who are yet to be there, I feel your anxiety. Everyone, be safe this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment